Constipation is a health problem that influences almost 20% of the world’s population. Although it is not a disease but how to relieve constipation is important. Long-term constipation may cause irritability, anxiety, insomnia, acne, proctitis, hemorrhoids, etc.
Healthy people have 1 to 3 bowel movements per day. 4 to 5 bowel movements per week are also considered normal. But many people believe they are constipated if they do not have a bowel movement every day.
How to judge are you constipated?
You may have
- The excessive time needed but still can’t poop.
- Abdominal pain, bloating, and poor appetite.
- No sense of bowel movements.
- A feeling of incomplete bowel evacuation.
- Hard and dry stools.
- Stools come out significantly lesser than the number of foods that have eaten the day before yesterday even though poop is considered minor constipated.
Why does constipation happen?
- Lack of dietary fiber or water in your diet and cause intestinal peristalsis to move slow.
- Stress that comes from work, new environment, examination, traveling, and so on.
- Lack of botanical oils.
- Ignoring the urge to poop due to busy life, emotional tension.
- Suffering from intestinal tumors, myoma uteri, ovarian cyst, proctitis.
- Endocrine disorders.
- Drug-induced constipation – taking such as calcium, iron supplements.
How to relieve constipation?
You need to
1. Drink enough water
According to the suggestion, you must drink 1.5L-2L water per day. But if sweating a lot increasing of drinking water is necessary. In the morning, you may drink 750ml ( about 3 glasses) warm water on an empty stomach. Why? Drinking enough warm water can stimulate gastrointestinal peristalsis.
2. Take a tablespoon of cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil
2.1 How to use extra virgin olive oil?
Extra virgin olive oil can be taken directly or added to warm water, tea or milk, or mixed with oatmeal, juice, or soup. Olive oil has been treated as a natural laxative since two thousand years ago. Why? The nutrition of food will absorb by the small intestine, oil is without exception. But extra virgin olive oil is different from other oil. Through experiment, the small intestine only absorbs less amount of olive oil. Therefore, olive oil can smoothly arrive large intestine and stimulate bowel movements and make stools easier to excrete.
2.2 Why do you consume extra virgin olive oil but not olive oil?
Extra virgin olive oil is directly using fresh olive fruit and adopting mechanical cold pressing, go through filtered and removed all impurities, finally obtain the cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil. Extra virgin olive oil is the best quality of olive oil. It is a pure and natural product. Extra virgin olive oil not only helps to relieve constipation but also good for health.
Olive oil is produced by mixed up the refined oil and a certain percentage of virgin olive oil. The purpose of mixing is to blend the flavor and color of olive oil. Therefore, olive oil is not pure compare with cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil.
After drinking 3rd glass of warm water you may eat an apple as an alternative if you don’t make use to take cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil every day.
2.3 Why do you take an apple?
Apples are rich in fiber, malic acid, and pectin that help to improve the reproduction of beneficial intestinal microflora that accelerate bowel movements. Therefore, you can have the urge to poop very fast after eating apples on an empty stomach every morning.
You can consume apples in various ways: making apple juice, eating raw, raw in salads, and cooking apple soup. You also can have apple pectin powder as supplement food.
Check the Latest Pricing On Amazon – pectin powder
But, for those gastric people, you are not encouraged to eat apples on empty stomach. It is because apples contain malic acid and citric acid that may cause you upset stomach.
3. Intake of enough dietary fiber daily
3.1 What is dietary fiber?
Dietary fiber is a kind of plant component that cannot be digested by human digestive enzymes. It has soluble fiber and insoluble fiber. The intake ratio of soluble fiber and insoluble fiber is 1:3. But don’t worry, most plants contain both soluble and insoluble fiber.
Based on the National Nutrition Surveys of Australia, the recommended daily dietary fiber intake for
- aged 1-3 is 14g/day
- aged 4-8 is 18g/day
- girls: aged 9-13 is 20g/day and aged 14-18 is 22g/day
- boys: aged 9-13 is 24g/day and aged 14-18 is 28g/day
- adults: a woman is 25g/day and a man is 30g/day
3.2 Why do you need to take enough dietary fiber if you are constipated?
– Insoluble fiber increases stool bulk and bowel movements
– Soluble fiber can be highly fermented and help to reproduce beneficial intestinal microflora that increases bowel movements
3.3 How to increase your daily fiber intake?
Fruits, vegetables, legumes (e.g. lentils and beans), nuts, and whole grains (e.g. unprocessed maize, millet, oats, wheat, and brown rice) are rich in dietary fiber. Eating at least 400g of 2 fruits and 3 vegetables per day, excluding potatoes, sweet potatoes, cassava, and other starchy roots.
To increase fiber intake, you are recommended to
- eat wholemeal bread
- eat brown rice
- eat porridge oats, wheat as breakfast
- eat nuts, legumes, dried fruit as a snack
- eat 2 fruits( avocado, apple, guava, dragon fruits can easily relieve constipation) and 3 vegetables
What does 30g fiber look like?
Food/ 100g Fiber content (g)
Total fiber is 35.28g (fiber content refer from ncbi.nlm.nih.gov )
- Read also Best Vegan Probiotics
Can you prevent constipation?
Have a proper lifestyle is a key to prevent constipation.
- Drink at least 2L of water per day.
Especially train up yourself to drink 3 glasses of warm water on an empty stomach in the morning.
- Take 2 fruits per day.
The right time to eat is half an hour before breakfast and lunch. (Apple, kiwifruit, avocado, guava are recommended)
- Increasing more dietary fiber
Take 3 portions of vegetables, whole grains, nuts, and legumes.
- Exercising 3 times per week for at least 1/2 hour – 1 hour.
- Work and rest at the regular time.
1. Take probiotic supplements if necessary – for example when you are under pressure or traveling.
2. If you have the urge to poop but your stool still can’t come out, please massage your left and right thumb about 50 times each as the video is shown below. This action may help you easier to pass.
Want to relieve constipation?
With new lifestyle and changing your dietary habit will help to relieve constipation. To change your dietary habit will be difficult at the beginning, but you will find easier if you get used to it. Consult with a doctor if these home remedies don’t work for you.