Dragon fruit is the fruit that belongs to the Cactaceae family. The fruit is oval or pear-shaped. Dragon fruit is very tasty. The flesh is either white or red and with numerous tiny black seeds. 100 gram of dragon fruit contains 82g carbohydrates, 2g dietary fiber, 4g protein, 3% daily value of sodium, 11% daily value each for vitamin C and calcium. For people especially kids that suffer from constipation, dragon fruit works!
Benefits of dragon fruit
- It helps decrease bad cholesterol levels.
- It helps to boost the immune system.
- It is a good antioxidant and keeps you young.
- It is rich in fiber that helps to relieve constipation.
Suffering from constipation? Dragon fruit works! How?
Dragon fruit has oligosaccharides. They are a type of carbohydrate. Most oligosaccharides are indigestible and act as prebiotics. Prebiotics are components in the big colon that support the growth of beneficial bacteria in the colon. There is a study in the year 2019 that indicated prebiotic oligosaccharides from dragon fruits (DFO) alter gut motility in mice. Dragon fruit oligosaccharide (DFO) increased fecal output and colonic smooth muscle contractions. In other words, DFO improves gut health and corrects bowel movement disorders. Dragon fruit especially helps children to poop fast.
How to consume dragon fruit?
- Eat it raw. Just remove the outer peel and eat the flesh of the dragon fruit.
2. Make dragon fruit juice and enjoy it.
3. Make dragon fruit jam and eat with bread.
4. Consume dragon fruit with yogurt.
5. Make dragon fruit ice cream.
( Read also 7 bad habits that cause constipation)
Dragon fruit production areas
To relieve constipation, you have to develop good living habits. There are many reasons that cause you constipated. Be aware of what you should eat, what you should drink, and what you have neglected ( i.e. quality sleep, exercise, happiness). Need to realize changing a little bit of life habit will give you better gut health.
Suffering from constipation? Dragon fruit works!