Dragon fruit is the fruit belongs to the Cactaceae family. The fruit is oval or pear-shaped. Dragon fruit is very tasty. The flesh is either white or red and with numerous tiny black seeds. 100 gram of dragon fruit contains 82g carbohydrates, 2g dietary fiber, 4g protein, 3% daily value of sodium, 11% daily value each for vitamin C and calcium.
Benefits of dragon fruit
- It helps decrease bad cholesterol levels.
- It helps to boost immune system.
- It is a good antioxidants and keep you young.
- It is rich of fiber that help to relieve constipation.
How does dragon fruit works for constipation?
Dragon fruit has oligosaccharides. They are a type of carbohydrate. Most oligosaccharides are indigestible and act as prebiotics. Prebiotics are components in the big colon that support the growth of beneficial bacteria in the colon. There is a study in year 2019 indicated prebiotics oligosaccharides from dragon fruits (DFO) alter gut motility in mice. Dragon fruit oligosaccharide (DFO) increased fecal output and colonic smooth muscle contractions. In other words, DFO improve gut health and correct bowel movement disorders. Dragon fruit especially help children to poop fast.
How to consume dragon fruit?
- Eat it raw. Just remove the outer peel and eat the flesh of the dragon fruit.
2. Make dragon fruit juice and enjoy it.
3. Make dragon fruit jam and eat with bread.
4. Consume dragon fruit with yogurt.
5. Make dragon fruit ice-cream.
( Read also 7 bad habits that cause constipation)
Dragon fruit production areas
If you cannot get fresh dragon fruit, dragon fruit extract powder is also available.Conclusion
To relieve from constipation, you have to develop good living habits. There are many reasons that cause you constipated. Be aware of what you should eat, what you should drink and what you have neglected ( i.e. quality sleep, exercise, happiness). Changing a bit will make a big difference.
Try also dragon fruit, it is really awesome for relieving constipation.